Mini Whoopie Pies
Half cookie, half cake - these Mini Whoopie Pies make for the perfect afternoon treat or lunch box snack! A take on the classic whoopie pie recipe, we've turned this sweet treat into a healthier option by using less sugar and adding rice flour.
These mini whoopie pies are soft, delicious and easy to make. Get the kids involved with mixing and filling for a fun at home baking day!
125g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
30g unsalted butter
2 cups icing sugar
Splash of milk to thin
- Preheat your oven to 200 and either line or grease a baking tray. Beat the butter, vanilla, sugar, buttermilk and egg in a small bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and other dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Place level tablespoons of the mixture on a tray, 4cm apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes and allow to cool before icing.
- To make the icing filling, mix the butter in a small bowl with an electric whisk, gradually sift in the icing sugar and mix in the milk to thin as needed. Join the cooled pies with the icing and enjoy!
- This recipe makes 8-10 pies. Perfect to pop in any sized bento for a tasty treat on the go!
Did you make these Mini Whoopie Pies? Let us know in the comments below what you think of them!