Fluffy Hotcakes with Homemade Berry Jam
The fluffiest, lightest hotcakes you’ll ever whip up! Serve them up with a delicious berry jam to sneak in some extra goodness and brekkie will be a super hit!
Makes: 12 pancakes
1 cups plain flour
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup milk
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
3 tbsp butter (melted)
½ tsp cinnamon
Spray oil for cooking
2 cups frozen mixed berries
¼ cup sugar or maple syrup
2 tbsp chia seeds
- To make the pancakes, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and soda in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, vanilla, egg, honey and melted butter, before combining to the dry mix.
- Whisk everything together until you’ve created a batter - the batter should be thick, but light and fluffy.
- Heat a non stick frying pan and spray a little cooking oil (we found best results using a spray oil) and pour a little of the batter in to create the desired sized hotcake. You can spread the mixture out to a circular shape with a ladle or even use a pancake shaper for the perfect circles! Flip the pancakes once blonde/golden on the underside and repeat until blonde/golden on the flipside. Remove from the pan and repeat until you have a stack of hotcakes. (you can then place the hotcakes on a very low heat in the oven whilst you make your berry jam)
- To make the Berry Jam, add the berries to a saucepan with a splash of water and bring to the boil, pour in the sugar and chia seeds and stir continuously for 5 minutes. You will find the berries start to congeal and the chia seeds will start to swell, helping to bind the berry jam. Once your jam is ready, remove from the heat.
- Assemble your hotcakes… pour on the berry jam… top with extra goodies for decoration! We used desiccated coconut and pumpkin seeds!
Did you make these hotcakes? Let us know what you thought in the comments below!