The Christmas holidays are a fabulous time to get crafty with the kids! These crunchy Christmas cookies are easy to make and so much fun to decorate. Pop them in your bento for a festive treat or even share them around at your Christmas feast!
Do you like baking with your kids? Some parents find it a bit stressful, so these crunchy Christmas cookies are a great opportunity to pre-bake the cookies and just get the kids involved with decorating! Simply use tubes of decorating icing (or make your own) and let your imagination run. Some of our favourite decorating ideas:
- Create a simple Christmas tree (as pictured)
- Decorate the cookie as if it were a bauble
- Try to draw Santa with icing
- Write a little note on the cookie, perfect for putting in a bento!
- Decorate a gift on the cookie
- Use the cookies to spell out the names of Santas reindeers - can you name them all?
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 chia seeds
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl
- In another bowl, beat the butter until pale and smooth
- Mix in the sugar, egg & vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together to form a cookie dough
- Use a teaspoon to create small round circles on a baking sheet, or use a small mould shaper for even sized cookies
- Bake for 17-20 minutes
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 30 minutes before icing
- Decorate your cookie with some fun festive themes, we used metallic icing to create these gorgeous Christmas Tree and bauble biscuits
- Makes 10-12 cookies
Options - you can use GF flour for GF version of this recipe, you can also use a dairy free spread to ensure these cookies are dairy free too!
Have you made these crunchy Christmas cookies? How did you decorate them? We'd love to hear your feedback in the comments below!