Apple Dairy Free Cookies
These one-bowl, dairy-free cookies are soft and chewy with the perfect balance of sweet and spice. Bursting with warm apple flavour and a hint of fall spices, they are make a perfect treat for tucking into lunchboxes or enjoying with a cup of tea.
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or other dairy-free buttery spread
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 medium apple, very finely diced (no need to peel)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 °C/374 F and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the brown sugar, margarine/dairy-free spread and vanilla into a large mixing bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes pale and fluffy (around 2-3 minutes).
- Add the egg and continue to beat until combined and then stir through the apple pieces.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir until combined. (Don’t over-beat).
- Place round, tablespoon-sized scoops of the cookie dough onto the baking tray, making sure the cookies are at least 3 cm apart, as they will spread while baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges and cooked through. Enjoy!
- If you require the cookies to be egg free, you can substitute the egg for 1/4 cup applesauce.
- Due to the apple pieces, the cookies will soften over time and are best when eaten within 1-2 days. But they will last in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, refrigerated for 5 days or frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months for packing into lunchboxes on busy mornings. To store, allow them to cool completely before adding them to an airtight container with some paper towel underneath and over the top of the cookies.
- If you don’t require dairy-free cookies, the margarine can be swapped for butter.
- Cooking times can vary depending on your oven and the size of the cookies. When they are ready, they will appear golden around the edges and shouldn’t look “wet” on top.
About the Author:
Andrea is a food obsessed mum of four who is always thinking about her next meal and she loves to help busy families save time and money in the kitchen by offering simple, fresh and affordable family food from scratch.
At The Cooking Collective, you will find:
- Fast and affordable weeknight meals for busy families
- Healthy lunchbox recipes, perfect for kids and grownups!
- Simple recipes made from scratch, using everyday ingredients
- Additive free party food ideas for all ages
- Tips and fun recipesto cooking with kids of all ages
- Delicious dessert recipes. Some healthy, some not so healthy!
You can find more lunchbox ideas and inspiration in her Facebook group, Healthy Lunchboxes Australia. If you do tag along and make some of her recipes, she LOVES to see the food that you are making! It will make her day if you tag @thecookingcollectiveau on Instagram.